Numerous riders tried to escape the peloton once the racing was underway, but since the parcours was fast they were rapidly swept up and put back in their places. Valentina Scadolara won both intermediate sprints to pick up useful points for her Michela Fanini team while Christel Ferrier of Hitec Products-Mistral Home grabbed the first mountain points of the rade when she was first into Astoreka. On paper, it looked to be a relatively easy stage, but rain in the latter part made conditions difficult and many of the riders took the last few corners with extra care.
Ina-Yoko Teutenberg @yokoteute OMG....what a cluster F..... In last 10k. Think i nearly shit my pants couple of times. But all @velociosports worked hard+delivered me!With those last flat kilometres, a sprint finish was as good as guaranteed today - and many people fully expected Specialized-Lululmon's devastatingly quick sprinter Ina-Yoko Teutenberg to take the honours. She didn't disappoint, despite very strong competition from Shelley Olds (AA Drink-Leontien.nl) and a number of other riders including Rabobank's Annemiek van Vleuten, powering through the last 300m and holding them off all the way to the line. Tomorrow, the race climbs three Cat 3 hills and a 400m Cat 2, then ends with what promises to be a lightning-fast downhill section to the finish. It's a considerably more difficult parcours than Stage 1 and the results will probably look very different to today's.
Emma Johansson @emmaprocyclist Crazy finish... Say no more! @ChristelFerrier i mtns jersey for 2mrw :) On massagetable already getting ready for stage #2 #BiraTop Ten
1. 11 TEUTENBERG, Ina Yoko SPECIALIZED-LULULEMON 2:29:44
2. 146 OLDS, Shelley AA DRINK-LEONTIEN.NL ST
3. 13 WORRACK, Trixi SPECIALIZED-LULULEMON ST
4. 1 V. VLEUTEN, Annemiek RABOBANK ST
5. 51 BRAS, Martine DOLMANS-BOELS C.T. ST
6. 113 PIETERS, Amy SKILL-ARGOS ST
7. 123 AMIALIUSIK, Alena BE PINK ST
8. 105 GUNNEWIJK, Loes GREENEDGE-AIS ST
9. 34 JANELIUNAITE, Edita DIADORA-PASTA ZARA ST
10. 25 FERRIER, Christel HITEC PRODUCTS-MISTRAL HOME ST